The main objectives of Celebrating Life 2022 are: to create a space for people of Calgary to grief in community; to celebrate together that we are here; and to inspire about the brighter future ahead of us.
Our virtual program on March 15, 2022, will be an opportunity to reflect on these objectives at the second anniversary of Covid-19, and to make the formal announcement of all the virtual and in person activities we are planning for this spring.
The spring program includes artistic and creative performances, visits to the cemetery, digital tributes, community gatherings and other different activities taking place virtually and in person around our city.
With the support of our Host Venue Community Partners, we will be hosting keynote artistic events in downtown and City of Calgary quadrants that will include artistic presentations including music, storytelling, performances, etc.
Host cemetery Community Partners will invite people to bring a flower to their loved ones, and host a musical presentation for visitors to celebrate joyfully.
We will be hosting/encouraging community gatherings around the city, where families can enjoy an outdoor get together to celebrate the future.
A Toolkit for Grief
Every person, and every community, has experienced some type of loss since the pandemic began in early 2020. Grief is a natural human experience that we may be feeling. This toolkit is to help us think, act, and change through our grief stories, making them meaningful to us and our communities.
We want to thank all the artistic community that will be participating at Celebrating Life. Learn more about who they are and support their artistic journey here.
Celebrating Life 2022 will be an iconic event where the citizens of Calgary will have the opportunity to mourn together honouring the lives of those who are not physically with us anymore, and at the same time to celebrate our life and reflect on the immense possibilities moving forward.
Let's Mourn and Celebrate Together!
- Sat, Jun 18Union Cemetery in CalgaryA vigil celebration in community to honour and celebrate the lives of those who are not with us anymore. Live music, procession, storytelling, tributes, hot tea, and a special community gathering in a beautiful and mystic place.
- Sat, May 28Alexandra Writers SocietyMany of us have experienced the loss of a loved one during the pandemic and although loss can be incredibly difficult at any time, the added elements of pandemic stress and the inability to properly mourn our beloved lost loved ones has complicated and, in some cases, compounded the grief...
- Thu, May 26ZoomAn arts-based workshop - discover personal insight as you are guided through a creative journey of reflection and art making - with no expectation of outcome.
- Fri, May 20Many Horses High SchoolJoin us in a special festival hosted in partnership with the First Nations Arts Alliance to celebrate live with art, music, and dance.
- Sat, May 14Studio BellWe look forward for another great Celebrating Life gathering. Please be sure to register to access the National Music Centre at https://www.studiobell.ca/general-admission
- Fri, May 06Bella Concert Hall at MRUA musical gathering to mourn and celebrate together in one of the most beautiful and iconic concert halls in our city.
- Sat, Apr 30Brookfield Residential YMCA at SetonA community gathering with a unique combination of music, dances, performances, and more. See program below.
- Sat, Apr 30Shane Homes YMCA at North WestA community gathering with a unique combination of music, dances, performances, and more. See program below.
- Sat, Apr 23CalgaryPrivate event for participating artists and sponsors of Celebrating Life.
- Sat, Apr 23Studio Theatre at cSpace King EdwardCelebrating Life Dialogues will be hosting a full day of conversations and presentations with creators, artists and change makers to reflect on how they are evolving, thriving and moving forward.
- Sat, Apr 09Virtual Concert via Social MediaA special virtual presentation by “The Mark Sepic Trio”. Alan Hetherington in Percussion; John Yelland in the Bass; Mark Sepic, guitar and compositions. Full artists bio at https://www.celebrating-life.ca/artists
- Tue, Mar 15OnlineCelebrating Life 2022 aspires to be an iconic event where the citizens of Calgary can have the opportunity to mourn together honouring those who are not physically with us anymore, celebrating our own lives, and reflecting on the immense possibilities moving forward.